Tuesday 25 October 2011

My Favourite Dessert.

Recently I made a chocolate "cheese"cake which I originally got from a newspaper website, but I didn't copy down the link.The recipe comes from a young lass by the name of Kamina who lives in Brisbane, she has a website called Kamina the Vegan and can be found on Facebook also.
Anyway I love this recipe, and I haven't met anybody who doesn't like, but it comes with a VERY RICH warning attached!
I call it chocolate"cheese"cake, but technically it's called Kamina's Chocolate Mousse Tart. This can easily be made gluten-free, I do this by using Orgran's amaretti biscotti.
Oh, and it is totally packed full of goodness as one of the main ingredients is tofu. Yep that's right TOFU! And trust me, you would never know!
So the original recipe follows with my changes in this colour :)


Chocolate "Cheese"cake :)




Fills 1 x 24cm fluted flan tin with delicious goodness.
Ingredients:

For the crust:
  • 300g sweet biscuits - these can be vegan or gluten free or a simple plain sweet biscuit like I said I use Orgran's amaretti biscotti
  • 125g vegetable margarine or substitute I prefer Nutelex olive lite
For the filling:
  • 1/3 cup corn flour
  • 1 cups soy milk ( rice milk or almond milk) can also be used
  • 300g 50-60% dark chocolate - organic or vegan I generally use a mix of chocolate, usually 1 block of Sweet William's dairy free "milk" chocolate, sometimes a block of 80% cocoa dark (dairy-free) chocolate and 1-2 blocks of 50-70% cocoa chocolate, depending of course whether or not I use an 80% block or not. Each block is 100g
  • 300g drained silken tofu - Kamina recommends the Japanese firm tofu, Morinaga Brand available at Asian or Japanese grocers on the shelf, I don't know the name of brand that I have used, but since moving to Tasmania I have only seen one type/brand of silken tofu, it has a black label and I have found it at Coles and Eumarrah.
  • 225g soy cream cheese - Tofutti brand or king land soy available from health shops or supermarkets in the dairy cabinet, I WAS using the Tofutti brand, which I really liked and could buy at Coles, but now they have decided to stop stocking it (GRRRR!!), thankfully they have started stocking the King Land brand. 
  • 2/3 cup raw organic or rapadura raw sugar I use organic raw caster sugar.
Method:
  • To make the crust, place the biscuits into a food processor or crush them in a blender until rough crumbs, transfer into a bowl and using your hands mix the crumbs with the melted margarine until the crumbs are moist and keep their shape when squeezed. Wipe out the processor or blender to use for the filling.
  • Press the mixture into the tin until the bottom and sides are well covered and extremely compact. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  • For the filling, in a small saucepan whisk some of the soy milk with the corn flour until smooth and then add in the rest of the soy milk. Simmer over a moderate heat bringing the milk to a boil and stirring until it makes a thick smooth custard. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave at 30 second intervals mixing in between until smooth.
  • Strain the custard through a fine sieve (this NEVER works for me properly so I don't waist my time with this step anymore!) into your blender or food processor and add in the tofu, melted chocolate, raw sugar and cream "cheese" and blend until smooth and runny. The mix will have the texture of melted chocolate.
  • Pour the filling into the prepared base and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until firm to touch. Serve chilled with fresh berries. The first time I made this I served it with a raspberry coulis.
Making it is a lot of fun!

Mmmmm melted chocolate *drools*

No comments:

Post a Comment